View All Wines
Château Montrose sits in an enviable position within St-Estèphe - its vineyard sweeps across a gravel mound reminiscent of Château Latour in Pauillac to the south and it is this geological formation which helps to make Second Growth Montrose so complex. The vineyard is graced with a patchwork of differing soils and terroirs which, influenced by the proximity of the Gironde Estuary, are unified in the final blend to produce some of the longest lived wines in the Médoc. The first vines were planted amidst the heather in 1815 by Etienne Théodore Dumoulin and just 40 years later Montrose was awarded Second Growth status. By his death in 1861 he had expanded Montrose to 95 hectares, the size it remains today. Château Montrose is owned by Martin and Olivier Bouyges whose substantial investment has seen significant improvements made to the cellars and a huge sustainability drive to reduce its carbon footprint. Geothermal energy is recycled and there are 3000m² of rooftop solar panels.