Lay & Wheeler is one of England’s longest standing fine wine merchants, established in 1854, and recognised as one of its leading names, awarded Online Retailer of the Year in 2018 by the International Wine Challenge.
The business is known for its outstanding range of wines, buying directly from top domaines in Bordeaux, Burgundy, Rhône, Loire, Champagne, Italy and South Africa, which it sells exclusively to private clients.
Key to Lay & Wheeler’s growth strategy is the expansion of its operations, in which we are building our own warehouse to house all of our and our customers’ wines, and thus bringing on additional team members.
The primary objective of this role is to ensure that all inbound movements are arranged in a safe, compliant, and efficient manner, working with suppliers (e.g. wineries in Europe), freight forwarders (e.g. J.F. Hillebrand), and other teams within Lay & Wheeler.
Reporting into the Supply Chain Manager, the Shipping Coordinator will work alongside others on the team in a variety of functions related to the smooth passage of fine wine from winery to warehouse.
- Ensure wine is securely moved from winery to warehouse:
- Arrange collection of new Purchase Orders as requested by the Buying team
- Liaise with suppliers to agree collection/delivery dates
- Provide Buying team with weekly updates on orders, ensuring all requests are collected in the agreed time frames
- Provide shipping quotations when requested, mostly by the Buying team
- Ensure the correct temperature control measures are used for all shipments
- Work closely with Freight Forwarders to ensure all collections are made within the agreed timeframe
- Work with Supply Chain Manager and warehouse operations teams to ensure warehouse capacities are not exceeded
- Work with suppliers, Freight Forwarders, warehouse team and Supply Chain Manager to resolve any discrepancies or losses in transit
- Work with Supply Chain Manager to sign off all shipping invoices, raise any invoice queries with Freight Forwarder
- Schedule deliveries to warehouse site, providing pre-advices where required
- Manage and disseminate information related to shipments, including:
- Maintain internal shipping spreadsheet, using freight forwarders’ websites, to ensure the most up-to-date information is logged and that all collections and deliveries are happening within agreed schedule
- Update ETAs on internal system (“Navision”) to ensure all stakeholders both internal and external customers are kept up to date have visibility as to with the progress of shipments
- Ensure correct paperwork and details are provided throughout process
- Ensure the relevant Incoterms are used when arranging collections
- Work with current tariffs and flag any shipments which may exceed the desired £6.20 per dozen case rate with the Supply Chain Manager
- Work with Freight Forwarders to ensure all Intrastat declarations are submitted correctly
- Regularly check shipping invoices to ensure tariffs are correct
- Manage general tasks within the team, including:
- Monitor the Shipping email inbox and answer general enquiries
- Cover for staff absence across wider Operations Team
- Provide support to wider Operations Team over peak periods
- Any other tasks deemed suitable by the Supply Chain Manager
- Organised, with excellent administrative skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Extremely high attention to detail
- Ability to multitask and work under pressure in a busy environment
- Confident working on own initiative, but equally at home working with and alongside others on the team
- A team player, always willing to help others out for the good of the business
- Enthusiastic and willing to learn new skills and cover all areas of the team
- Ownership mentality, with a flexible approach to to the job and working hours
- Knowledge of current Incoterms and requirements for shipping-controlled goods across international borders
- An appreciation for fine wine
- Salary commensurate with experience, competitive with market
- An annual bonus scheme, based on company and individual performance
- Employee-employer matched pension contributions, currently 5% each
- Company-sponsored social events
- Opportunity for wine education sponsorship
- Team member discount on wine
- An opportunity to build your career, not just take a job
This role is based at Lay & Wheeler’s headquarters, in Suffolk.
To apply, please send your CV and a cover letter explaining why you are qualified for the role to Tamara Vetesi, Supply Chain Manager, by email on [email protected]