Lay & Wheeler is one of England’s oldest fine wine merchants, founded in 1854.
Since returning to private family ownership in 2019, the business has been investing in its range of wines, its technology, and its service to fulfill its mission of connecting the right people with the right wines.
It’s headquartered in Suffolk, where it is opening its own bonded fine wine storage facility capable of holding ten million bottles, and has a satellite office in Mayfair.
With a buying team of four, including two Masters of Wine, Lay & Wheeler specialises in Bordeaux, Burgundy, and Champagne, as well as Italy, Rhone, Loire and South Africa. The merchant is expanding to the wines of California, Germany, Spain and Australia and New Zealand, as well as investment-grade spirits, and recently released its own collection of wines.
Lay & Wheeler hosts wine tastings and private dinners throughout the year, and offers wine advisory services for private clients through its member programme, Cellar Circle. All of its wines are available for sale on its website.
Key to our growth strategy is our team, and one important addition will be the newly created “Head of Technology” role, reporting directly to the MD.
We are looking for a Head of Technology who can oversee all areas of technology for Lay & Wheeler. This leader will be responsible for ensuring technology supports critical functions within the business, both today and as it grows. The role will require an individual to think strategically not just about technological systems, but also the processes involved with them, and the people using them.
The Head of Technology will be responsible for working with existing team members and external parties to ensure we deliver our tech roadmap on time, to budget, which includes future resource considerations.
With technology at the core of everything we do at Lay & Wheeler, we are excited to bring this individual on to help build his/her career as we build this company.
- E-commerce: work with merchandising, marketing and systems leads to oversee delivery of e-commerce roadmap, which includes developing a structured approach to project prioritisation and resource allocation as well as product development, requiring collaboration with all stakeholders
- ERP: working with our existing team, help with this cross-functional project to upgrade Lay & Wheeler’s existing ERP, Navision, to a future-proofed enterprise solution (its updated version, Bevica)
- WMS: (Warehouse Management System): work with our Head of Systems to ensure our newly implemented WMS meets the needs of the business
- Data & reporting: lead effort, working with marketing and systems leads, to consolidate reporting and improve employee access to and use of data in informing day-to-day business decisions
- IT/Infrastructure: work with IT Coordinator to oversee budget for and management of all IT equipment, in the headquarters and warehouse, and work with group to ensure effective use of cloud computing resource
- A minimum 5-8 years experience in a head of technology role or equivalent, preferably an e-commerce business with considerable operational complexities
- Experience hiring, developing and leading technical teams, as well as working cross-functionally and with third party service providers
- Deep knowledge of technology, a solid understanding of software development in different areas
- Ability to oversee, manage, and bring together all technology domains
- Experience implementing enterprise-level solutions, such as ERP and WMS systems， and managing vendor relationships
- Experience managing projects with onsite/offsite (in-house/outsourced) model
- Strong understanding of digital platforms & technologies, product information, marketing technologies and eCommerce
- Strong “solution” driving mindset with excellent business acumen, financial bottom-line orientation and ability to successfully plan, organize and measure both small and large-scale initiatives
- Behave like an owner, not an employee
- Deep commitment to teamwork, and development of team members, with a high degree of empathy
- A consultative style of leadership, embracing collaboration and discussion to arrive at better outcomes
- “Roll up your sleeves and do it” approach to get things off the ground, taking a startup mentality
- Passionate about wine, and epicurean pursuits more broadly
- Salary commensurate with experience
- An annual bonus scheme, based on company and individual performance
- Employee-employer matched pension contributions of 5% each
- Company-sponsored social events
- Opportunity for wine education sponsorship
- Team member discount on wine
- An opportunity to build your career, not just take a job
This role is based at Lay & Wheeler’s headquarters, in Suffolk.
To apply, please send your CV and a cover letter explaining why you are qualified for the role to Katy Keating, [email protected]