Buying Coordinator - Rest of World, Bordeaux
Lay & Wheeler is one of England’s longest standing fine wine merchants, established in 1854, and recognised as one of its leading names, awarded Online Retailer of the Year in 2018 by the International Wine Challenge.
The business is known for its outstanding range of wines, buying directly from top domaines in Bordeaux, Burgundy, Rhône, Loire, Champagne, Italy and South Africa, which it sells exclusively to private clients. For those customers, it offers the opportunity to buy, store, sell and enjoy fine wine, who frequently work directly with a personal wine advisor, though make most of their transactions through the website.
As we grow, we are buying more wine, and in turn, we need more resource to support all buying activities.
We are hiring a Buying Coordinator to support our buying team, specifically focused on buying from all areas of the world outside of France, although this role will include Bordeaux.
This role is integral to the success of the buying team, as this person will ensure the smooth purchasing of wines from those regions, as well as manage other activities core to the department.
It forms one of two buying coordinator roles, the other being an identical position, but focused on the rest France.
- Supporting activities related to maintaining supplier relations, which include
- Organising travel to key regions
- Coordinating sample deliveries from those regions
- Liaising with producers when we host range tastings, including invitations, samples management and other ad hoc tasks
- Managing the process of buying wine end to end, as directed by the Buyer for that region, including
- Enter all relevant information into regional spreadsheet (e.g. quantities, prices, stock levels, historic sell-through rates) from supplier offer to aid decision-making process
- Send orders for wines, including price checks, options management and further stock requests
- Ensure wine codes are set up properly in our system so that they can be sold
- Manage processes once some or all inventory has been sold, including coordinating with the Supply Chain team to pick up the wine
- Helping the buying team in other aspects of the department, such as
- Managing supplier communications
- Liaising with the marketing and merchandising teams
- Liaising with the sales and customer care teams
- Organised and able to set up and follow a strong process
- Efficient, with a strong work ethic
- Strong commercial thinker, delivering the necessary supporting analysis wherever possible
- Excellent attention to detail
- Enjoys interacting with suppliers, with excellent interpersonal skills
- Proficient in Italian, Spanish, German or French a plus
- A love of wine, preferably with at least WSET Level 2 experience and ideally Level 3 or the Diploma
- Salary commensurate with experience
- An annual bonus scheme, based on company and individual performance
- Employee-employer matched pension contributions of 5% each
- Company-sponsored social events
- Opportunity for wine education sponsorship
- Team member discount on wine
- An opportunity to build your career, not just take a job
This role is based at Lay & Wheeler’s headquarters, in Suffolk.
To apply, please send your CV and a cover letter explaining why you are qualified for the role to Robbie Toothill, by email on [email protected]